- Any non-Rish
- Any alignment
- A score of at least 12 in any two of the following; Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma
- Skill points: (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
- The Mage’s class skills are: Concentration (Con), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), and Spellcraft (Int). The Mage may choose 3 other skills to treat as if they were class skills. Skills that require training to use (such as Decipher Script) count as two skills for this purpose.
- +1 Wisdom, -1 Inteligence: The Native has a slightly heightened sense of intuitive knowledge, but lack the education of more civilized cultures.
- Familiar: A mage can obtain a familiar (see below). Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp. A familiar is a magical beast that resembles a small animal and is unusually tough and intelligent. The creature serves as a companion and servant. The mage chooses the kind of familiar he gets. As the mage advances in level, his familiar also increases in power. If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the mage, the mage must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he loses 200 experience points per mage level; success reduces the loss to one-half that amount. However, a mage’s experience point total can never go below 0 as the result of a familiar’s demise or dismissal. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for a year and day. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.
Paths:Basic: A Native may choose any of the following basic paths:
- Wizard: Skilled practitioners of the arcane arts, the few remaining wizards are rebells in hiding, as magic was declared illegal throughout most of the continent.
- Sorcerer: Hunted and killed for the fear they instill in the people, and the secrets of their arcane power.